From spicy beginnings to delectable endings and everything in between, Grits and Pinecones and I have your Cinco de Mayo celebrations covered with 29 tried and true recipes! In case you didn’t know, Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican Army’s unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.
1. Tasty Taco Cups: Tasty taco filling layered with melted cheese in crispy wonton wrappers makes the perfect appetizer. What’s even better is that they’re super easy to make and just as yummy made ahead of time and reheated!
2. Simple Tequila Sunrise for Cinco de Mayo: Tequila Sunrise is a classic cocktail that’s as tasty to imbibe as it is pretty to look at. It only contains three basic ingredients and is perfect for your Cinco de Mayo celebration.
3. Easy Cheesy Hot Corn Dip (Courtesy of Grits and Pinecones): With a name like Easy Cheesy Hot Corn Dip, you would think that this delicious dip would be full of yummy corn and cheesy goodness, and you would be right!
4. Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa (Courtesy of Grits and Pinecones): If you are looking for an easy, quick, light, low-calorie, healthy and delicious entrée, check out my Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa recipe. This yummy dish would also be a perfect choice for a Cinco de Mayo party!
5. Vegetarian Chili: This vegetarian chili is a healthy and immensely satisfying alternative to meat-based varieties. Red lentils provide a protein and fiber rich chili that is thick and savory, and a snap to make. As an added bonus, it’s even better as leftovers and freezes beautifully.
7. Mexican Wedding Cookies: Mexican Wedding Cookies, are served at most weddings and celebrations in Mexico, and are perfect for Cinco de Mayo. Known as Polvorones, these buttery confections are packed with a toasted pecans and dusted with confectioners’ sugar. They literally melt in your mouth and break into fine crumbs, leaving the extra crunch of the toasted pecans.
8. Mexican Chopped Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing (Courtesy of Grits and Pinecones): Mexican Chopped Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing is one of our favorite salads and I serve it often, especially when we have company. This salad is full of all things healthy and good for you, and the honey-lime dressing is sweet, spicy and simply amazing!
9. Cinco de Mayo Salsa: What better way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo than with a quick and easy salsa that’s certain to please? This Cinco de Mayo Salsa is absolutely delicious, and can be used in numerous ways.
10. Tequila Lime Chicken Enchiladas (Courtesy of Grits and Pinecones): Tequila Lime Chicken Enchiladas – doesn’t just the name make you hungry? Well, wait until you taste these delicious enchiladas, you will become a believer.
11. Instant Pot Mexican Smashed Pinto Beans: What better way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo than to focus on some of my favorite Mexican recipes. My Smashed Pinto Beans made in my Instant Pot are at the top of my list!
12. Baked Bacon Ranch Jalapeño Poppers (Courtesy of Grits and Pinecones): Baked Bacon Ranch Jalapeño Poppers are a delicious and I must say one of my favorite recipes for jalapeño poppers. These Baked Bacon Ranch Jalapeño Poppers are also one of the easiest jalapeño snacks to make and a perfect Cinco de Mayo appetizer.
13. Tasty 7 Layer Quesadilla Wrap: If you like the Crunchwrap Supreme from a local fast food chain, then you’ll absolutely love this Tasty 7 Layer Quesadilla Wrap. While it’s somewhat of a copycat, it’s so much better. Tasty 7 Layer Quesadilla Wrap is not at all doughy, and you can actually taste the yummy ingredients!
14. Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas (Courtesy of Grits and Pinecones): Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner and I have another great enchilada recipe for you to add to your arsenal of delicious Southwestern or Mexican recipes. Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas is a little more traditional than the Tequila Lime Chicken Enchiladas recipe I shared with you last and it is every bit as yummy, just different, but in a good way.
15. Tequila Lime Grilled Chicken and Shrimp: Who doesn’t love tender juicy chicken and succulent shrimp? Add a delicious tequila lime marinade and the flavor of grilling, and you have a perfect meal for Cinco de Mayo!
16. Taco Salad with Avocado Lime Dressing (Courtesy of Grits and Pinecones): Have you ever wondered how to make a taco salad that is both delicious and healthy? How about my Taco Salad with Avocado Lime Dressing? Are you looking for a quick and easy taco salad with a yummy dressing recipe that your family will love? How about my Taco Salad with Avocado Lime Dressing? Yes on both counts! You are definitely in the right place!
17. Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chili Sauce: If you’re looking for a perfect dish to serve for your Cinco de Mayo celebration, look no further. Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chili Sauce is easy to make, and absolutely delicious to eat!
18. Fish Taco Bowls with Green Apple Guacamole (Courtesy of Grits and Pinecones): If you like grilled fish tacos, you will love my healthy, low-calorie, quick and easy Grilled Fish Taco Bowls with Green Apple Guacamole for lunch or dinner!
19. Mexican Rice: I’m counting down the days to Cinco de Mayo. Today’s treat is Mexican Rice. It has the perfect blend of ingredients to make it a memorable addition to your Cinco de Mayo celebration.
20. Easy Honey Lime Turkey Enchiladas (Courtesy of Grits and Pinecones): Check out this delicious and easy recipe for Honey Lime Turkey Enchiladas. It’s perfect for Cinco de Mayo!
21. Mexican Key Lime Tartlets with Cream Cheese Pastry: Mexican Key Lime Tartlets with Cream Cheese Pastry are a perfect end to your Cinco de Mayo feast. Their awesome blend of tart and sweet will have you clamoring for more of these delectable bite-sized morsels. What’s even better is that the shells and the key lime mixture can be made ahead of time, and assembled right before serving.
22. Easy Slow Cooker Pulled Tacos (Courtesy of Grits and Pinecones): Are you looking for an easy Pulled Pork Taco recipe? Would you like to know how to use your slow cooker to make a delicious, juicy and flavorful pulled pork that can be used in a multitude of recipes?
23. Mini Antojitos: Antojitos means “little cravings”. They are typically sold as Mexican street food to be eaten at other than a main meal. If you serve Mini Antojitos as an appetizer, be prepared for them to literally fly off the plate. What’s even better – they can be made ahead of time, frozen, and reheated.
24. Shrimp Tacos with Mango Slaw (Courtesy of Grits and Pinecones): Shrimp Tacos with Mango Slaw – Oh my goodness! Have I got a super delicious, healthy, quick and easy recipe for Shrimp Tacos with Mango Slaw for you today! I tried to wait until Taco Tuesday, but I couldn’t wait any longer and I wanted you to have this recipe for the weekend. I hope you will love it just as much as we do!
25. Turkey Chili: Turkey Chili is a perfect dish to serve for Cinco de Mayo. It’s easy to make, and spicy to taste. Top it with cheddar cheese, or mound it on lettuce for an awesome taco salad. What’s even better is that it makes incredible leftovers!
26. Skillet Macho Nachos (Courtesy of Grits and Pinecones): Skillet Macho Nachos is the perfect appetizer for your Cinco de Mayo celebration.
27. Frijoles Negros Rotos (A.k.a. Smashed Black Beans): Frijoles Negros Rotos are also known as Smashed Black Beans. They are not only delicious on their own, but also outstanding in black bean dip and in quesadillas. As an added bonus, the Smashed Black Beans are super easy to make.
28. Avocado Lime Chicken Enchiladas (Courtesy of Grits and Pinecones): Yummy Avocado Lime Chicken Enchiladas are filled with shredded Mexican seasoned chicken, lots of melty Monterey Jack cheese and then topped with a scrumptious avocado-lime sauce. Olé!
29. DIY Taco Seasoning: Why buy taco seasoning at the grocery store when you can easily make your own? It’s so much better than those little packets, and you know what’s in it!