Chicken and Mushroom Pasta consists of noodles topped with a blend of tender chicken pieces and cremini mushrooms, smothered in a delicious creamy sauce. What’s even better is that the Chicken and Mushroom Pasta was a breeze to make.
For dinner tonight, I had some chicken thighs and mushrooms that needed to be used, so I thought I would try my hand at a Chicken and Mushroom Pasta.
The ingredients included boneless chicken thighs (cut into 1-inch cubes), paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, olive oil, cremini mushrooms, shallot, onion, garlic, dried thyme, Madeira, unsalted butter, flour, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, sour cream, and egg noodles. I know that it sounds like a lot of ingredients, but it really did come together quickly.
To make the Chicken and Mushroom Pasta, I started by mixing the chicken with the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. I heated some olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, added the chicken, and cooked it until all of the pink was gone. This took about 6 minutes.
I transferred the chicken to a plate, then added the shallot and onions to the skillet. I cooked the shallot and onions over medium heat until the onions were translucent. This took about 6 minutes. Then I added the garlic and cooked it for about 30 seconds until it was fragrant. I added the mushrooms, increased the heat to medium high, and cooked the mushrooms for several minutes.
After the mushrooms started to brown a bit, I added the Madeira, and continued cooking the mixture until all liquid was evaporated.
I removed the onion/mushroom mixture from the pan and added the butter. After the butter had melted, I added the flour and stirred to combine into a roux.
Then I added the chicken broth and stirred constantly, until the sauce thickened.
I returned the chicken and onion/mushroom mixture to the sauce, reduced the heat to medium low, and cooked the mixture for another 5 minutes or so. Finally I added the sour cream, that I had tempered with a little of the hot sauce, along with the Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and remaining salt and pepper. Sometime back, I discovered that if I tempered the sour cream before adding it to a hot liquid, it would blend in perfectly!
I served the chicken and mushroom mixture over egg noodles. The result was an amazingly delicious dinner. Yum!
Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- 1 pound (16 ounces) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper divided
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 small onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons Madeira
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (16 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 12 ounces egg noodles, whole wheat or regular, cooked according to package directions and drained
- Chopped fresh parsley optional
- Place sliced chicken into a bowl. Season with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine.
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Add chicken; cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Remove from pan and transfer to plate.
- Add the shallot and onion; stir occasionally until they are soft and translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic; continue cooking for about 30 seconds until garlic is fragrant. Add mushrooms; cook until all liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Pour in the Madeira and cook for 1 minute. Remove from pan and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the butter to the skillet; when melted add flour. Whisk continuously taking care not to burn. Add the chicken stock, whisking to create a smooth sauce. Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken. Remove about 1/2 cup of the sauce. Add to the sour cream; whisk to temper the sour cream; set aside.
- Return the chicken, shallots, onions, garlic and mushrooms to the sauce. Turn the heat down to medium-low and continue to cook for 5-8 minutes. Add the tempered sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and the remaining salt and pepper. Stir until combined. Cook for 2 more minutes. Correct the seasonings.
- Serve over egg noodles cooked according to package directions.
- Yield: 6 servings.