Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms is an easy one-pot dish to put together, and an awesome dish to serve. It can be spooned over pasta or rice. Any leftovers are just as yummy the next day when reheated.
Ingredients for Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms
I used the following ingredients for this awesome dish: Condensed golden mushroom soup, zesty Italian salad dressing mix, sour cream, white wine, chicken broth, skinless, boneless chicken breasts, all-purpose flour, freshly ground black pepper, unsalted butter and fresh cremini mushrooms.
Making the Sauce
To make the sauce, I whisked together the golden mushroom soup, zesty Italian salad dressing mix, sour cream, white wine and chicken broth. Once the sauce was well mixed, I set it aside to focus on the chicken and the mushrooms.
Making the Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms
I started by adding some pepper to the flour in a ziploc bag. Then I added the chicken that I had cut into 1-inch pieces to the flour and tossed to coat the chicken.
Next, I heated part of the butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. When the butter had melted, I added the chicken and cooked it until the pieces were no longer pink. This took 4 or 5 minutes.
Once the chicken was no longer pink, I removed it from the pan and added the remaining butter. Then, I added the sliced mushrooms. I turned the heat up to medium high and cooked the mushrooms until all of the liquid had evaporated. This took several additional minutes.
Next, I reduced the heat to medium and added the sauce mixture to the cooked mushrooms.
I stirred the sauce to fully incorporate it into the cooked mushrooms. When the sauce was bubbly, I added the cooked chicken. I cooked the mixture for several more minutes to ensure that the chicken was fully heated.
I served the Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms spooned over spaghetti, along with homemade crusty french bread and a chilled chardonnay. The next evening, I served the leftovers for dinner – they were just as delicious. Yum!
Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms
- 10.5 ounce can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 0.7 ounce package dry Zesty Italian salad dressing mix
- ½ cup sour cream (See Tip 1)
- ⅓ cup white wine
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 16 ounces fresh Cremini mushrooms, sliced (See Tip 2)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh minced chives for garnish (Optional)
- Cooked spaghetti (See Tip 3)
- Whisk together condensed golden mushroom soup, Italian-style dressing mix, sour cream, white wine and chicken broth in a large bowl until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in a gallon ziploc bag. Add chicken and shake to coat evenly.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add chicken, shaking to remove excess flour; cook stirring often until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove cooked chicken from skillet.
- Add remaining tablespoon of butter to same skillet. When butter is melted, add sliced mushrooms. Increase heat to medium high and sauté several minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Add cooked chicken, and bring mixture to a slow boil. Reduce the heat and add fresh chives if desired for garnish. Serve over cooked angel hair pasta or rice. Yield: 6 servings.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add golden mushroom mixture; stir to incorporate. Add cooked chicken. Heat until bubbly; cook for several minutes to ensure that chicken is throughly heated.
- If desired, garhish with minced chives. Serve over pasta or rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Chula's Expert Tips
- I used light sour cream.
- You can also use regular white mushrooms in place of the cremini mushrooms.
- I've also served this dish over rotini, angel hair pasta and rice.