Chicken Cordon Bleu Stromboli with Mustard Cream Sauce is an awesome meal for any time. Crispy pizza dough is filled with gooey cheesy goodness surrounding deli chicken and ham. Enjoy the Stromboli immediately or let it come to room temperature. Wrap it in aluminum foil and refrigerate or freeze for a later time. This easy to make Stromboli can be served for brunch, lunch, dinner or just a quick snack, making it a perfect dish.
What is Stromboli Anyway?
You may be wondering what Stromboli is! Well, it’s like a pizza, but rolled into a log.
Stromboli starts with pizza dough, either homemade or store-bought. The dough is rolled into a rectangle as opposed to a circle. Then, the dough is filled with cheeses, cold-cuts or other pizza toppings and rolled like a jelly roll. After the Stromboli is baked, it is cut into pieces and served.
Whatever its origins, Stromboli is easy to make and impressive to serve.
About Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic dish made with chicken wrapped around ham and cheese. It is then breaded and either fried or baked. Chicken Cordon Bleu is often served with a mustard cream sauce.
Ingredients for Chicken Cordon Bleu Stromboli
For the pizza dough, I used bread flour, salt, instant yeast, olive oil and filtered water. I could have also used store-bought pizza dough. However, my pizza dough is so much easier to roll out than the store-bought variety!
For the filling, I used deli sliced chicken, Swiss cheese, Dijon mustard, deli sliced ham and mozzarella cheese. I also used an egg for the egg wash and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Making the Pizza Dough
Making the pizza dough was super simple with a food processor. I started by adding the bread flour, salt and yeast to my food processor fitted with a steel blade. Then, I pulsed the ingredients 5 times to ensure that they were well mixed. Next, I added the olive oil and water. I processed the dough for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, I let the dough rest for 2 minutes. Then, I processed it for another 30 seconds. The dough was perfectly kneaded!
I transferred the dough to an oiled 4-cup measuring cup and covered it with plastic wrap. I let the dough rise for about 1 hour and 30 minutes until it had doubled in size. The reason that I used the measuring cup was that it’s super easy to see when the dough has doubled in size.
Making the Chicken Cordon Bleu Stromboli
Once the dough was ready, I turned it out onto a floured surface. Then, I formed it into a rectangle that was roughly 15-inches by 12-inches. I layered the ingredients as follows, leaving about an inch on one of the long sides and both of the short sides and about 4 inches on the other long side.
- 8 slices of deli chicken
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese
- Dijon mustard spread on top of Swiss cheese
- 8 slices of deli ham
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese
Before rolling the Stromboli, I brushed each of the sides with an egg wash. Next, starting with the long side closest to the ingredients, I rolled the dough like a jelly roll.
I brought the empty long side up over the roll, and pinched the edges to seal the dough.
Next, I transferred the Stromboli to a silicon lined baking sheet, seam side down. I brushed it with egg wash and sprinkled on freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Finally, I cut several diagonal slits on the top to allow the steam to escape.
I popped the Stromboli into a preheated 400°F oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes it was golden brown and perfectly cooked. I removed it from the oven and let it cool for about 5 minutes before transferring it to a cutting board.
I cut the Chicken Cordon Bleu Stromboli into slices.
Then, I served it with a Mustard Cream Sauce (recipe below). It was out of this world good!. I wrapped the leftovers in aluminum foil and stuck it in the refrigerator. The leftovers are just as good when reheated at 350°F for about 15 minutes. Yum!
For another bread based recipe using the food processor, check out my Easy Breadsticks with Food Processor recipe. They are awesome.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Stromboli
- Food Processor
Pizza Dough (See Tip 1)
- 2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons (11 ounces) bread flour
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 ⅛ teaspoons instant or bread machine yeast
- 1 Tablespoon (0.5 ounces) olive oil
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) cold filtered water (See Tip 2)
Chicken Cordon Bleu Stromboli
- 16 ounces pizza dough (recipe above)
- 8 slices thinly sliced deli chicken (around 4 ounces)
- 8 slices Swiss cheese (around 5 ounces)
- 2 ½ Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 slices thinly sliced deli ham (around 4 ounces)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mozzarella cheese (See Tip 3)
- Egg wash made with 1 egg and 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Mustard Cream Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup (4 ounces) heavy cream
- ½ cup (4 ounces) low sodium chicken broth
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Add bread flour, salt and yeast to bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. Pulse 5 times to combine. Add olive oil and water. Process until a rough ball forms, around 30 seconds. Let rest for 2 minutes. Process an additional 30 seconds. Transfer to lightly floured surface; knead by hand to form a smooth, round ball. Place in a large, lightly greased bowl; cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, about 1-½ hours. (Alternatively, the dough can be refrigerated for at least 8 hours or up to 16 hours.) Yield: 16 ounces of pizza dough.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Stromboli
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a floured surface roll pizza dough into a 15 by 12-inch rectangle.
- Leaving a 1-inch border on one long side and 2 short sides and a 4-inch border on other long side, arrange a layer of the chicken. Place Swiss cheese on top of chicken. Brush Swiss cheese with Dijon mustard. Place ham on top of Swiss cheese with mustard. Finish by sprinkling on Mozzarella cheese.
- Brush all sides with egg wash.
- Starting on the long side closest to the layered ingredients. tightly roll up in jelly roll fashion. Pull other long side over roll and pinch to seal all edges. Transfer, seam side down to silicon or parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle on grated Parmesan cheese. Cut 4 diagonal slits on top with sharp knife.
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Serve with Mustard Cream Sauce.
- Yield: 6 servings. (See Tip 4)
Mustard Cream Sauce
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Whisk in the mustard and pepper and continue to cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and heavy cream. Bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce is thickened and reduced to about ¾ cups, about 20 minutes. Yield: ¾ cup.
Chula's Expert Tips
- Rather than making your own pizza dough, you can use store-bought pizza dough. This dough, however, rolls out very nicely.
- When making this dough, it's important to use cold water. The reason is that the speedy revolutions of the steel blade in the food processor generate a fair amount of heat. If the dough becomes too heated, it could kill the yeast. It's also important to use filtered water. The reason is that tap water contains chlorine which can retard the growth of the yeast or even kill the yeast.
- It's best to shred the Mozzarella yourself. The already shredded Mozzarella contains a coating that impacts the taste.
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Stromboli can be made ahead of time. Allow it to cool, wrap in aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator for several days, or in the freezer for up to a month. Heat in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. If heating from the freezer, add 5 minutes. Leftovers can be stored and reheated in the same manner.