Instant Pot Mexican Rice with Black Beans is an amazing one-pot meal that’s perfect for any occasion. It’s a meal in itself and is quite versatile. Dress it up with some shredded chicken, include it in a burrito, or lay enchiladas on top before they’re baked. You’re in for a real treat regardless of the way that you serve it.
Here’s What You’ll Need for This Amazing Recipe
- The Rice: I used basmati rice in this amazing recipe that I sautéd briefly in olive oil.
- The Vegetables: For the vegetables in included onions, celery, jalapeño peppers and garlic. I also included black beans and Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies.
- The Seasonings: To add more flavor to this recipe, I used chili powder, cumin, dried oregano and Kosher salt.
- The Liquid: I used low sodium chicken broth for the liquid.
Here’s How I Made the Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- I started by adding the olive oil to the Instant Pot and selecting the sauté function on normal heat. Once the oil had reached temperature, I added the rice which I had rinsed, drained and let dry. I cooked the rice for about 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, I added the onions, celery, jalapeños, garlic, oregano, chili powder, cumin and salt. I stirred to combine everything, and let the mixture cook for about 2 minutes.
- Then, I added the chicken broth and stirred everything together to deglaze the pan.
- Next, I added the Rotel tomatoes which I had drained. I was very careful not to stir in the tomatoes.
The reason was that the tomatoes would likely burn if they came in contact with the bottom of the Instant Pot.
So again – DO NOT STIR after adding the Rotel tomatoes.
- I secured the lid on the Instant Pot and made sure that the pressure valve was closed. Then, I selected the manual setting and high pressure for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, I allowed the Instant Pot to naturally release its pressure for 2 minutes. Then, I did a quick pressure release for the remaining pressure.
And Now for the Black Beans
While the rice was cooking, I rinsed and drained the black beans.
After the Instant Pot had depressurized, I removed the top and added the black beans. Since the black beans were already cooked, all they needed was warming up.
Once I added the beans, I stirred everything together and returned the top with the pressure valve open.
I let the rice mixture sit covered for about 3 minutes to heat the beans.
After the 3 additional minutes, I removed the top and fluffed the rice with a fork.
The Instant Pot Mexican Rice with Black Beans was perfectly seasoned and perfectly delicious. Yum!
Frequently Asked Questions
When rice is cooked the traditional way, a lot of the liquid added is evaporated during cooking. With the sealed Instant Pot, none of the liquid is evaporated. Therefore, the excess liquid is not needed.
Corn would be an excellent replacement for the black beans.
This recipe for Mexican Rice with Black Beans makes excellent leftovers. I like to gently reheat it in the microwave so that the rice doesn’t become mushy.
Generally, Mexican Rice gets its color from the addition of tomatoes and cumin. Spanish Rice on the other hand is colored with saffron. In addition, Mexican Rice tends to be softer than Spanish Rice.
The main reason for rinsing the rise is to remove the surface starch from the rice grains. This surface starch can make the rice gummy as it cooks.
You can definitely replace the chicken broth with either vegetable broth or water.
If you’re a fan of Mexican food, you should definitely check out some of my favorite Mexican recipes.
I first posted this amazing recipe on April 24 2019. Since then, this recipe is my go-to recipe when I want a delicious Mexican style rice. The recipe in this update is the same. However, I’ve updated the text and pictures.
I hope you liked this recipe for Instant Pot Mexican Rice Black with Beans as much as I do. If so, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. Also, if you’d like to receive notifications of new posts by email, enter your email address in the Subscribe box.
Thank you so much for visiting Pudge Factor. I hope you’ll come back!
Instant Pot Mexican Rice with Black Beans
- Instant Pot
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup (7-ounces) basmati rice, rinsed until the water turns clear, drained and allowed to dry
- 1 cup minced onion (about 1 medium onion)
- ½ cup chopped celery (1 to 2 stalks)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, membrane and seeds removed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (See Tip 1)
- 10 ounce can Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
- 15.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro or Italian parsley for garnish, optional
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot. Select sauté function with normal heat. When oil is hot, add rice. Cook for 4 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add onions, celery, jalapeños, garlic, oregano, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth; stir to deglaze the pan.
- Add the drained Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chilies on top of the rice. DO NOT STIR. (See Tip 2)
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot; make sure that the steam valve is shut. Select manual, high pressure and 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, allow to depressurize naturally for 2 minutes. Then quick release remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid. Add the drained black beans; stir to combine. Return lid to Instant Pot with steam valve open. Allow to sit for 3 additional minutes. Remove the lid; fluff rice with a fork.
- If desired, garnish with chopped cilantro or Italian parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Chula’s Expert Tips
- You can easily make this delicious dish vegetarian by replacing the chicken broth with vegetable broth or water.
- The reason that you don’t want to stir in the tomatoes is that they will likely burn if they come in contact with the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- My Instant Pot is the DUO60 6 quart model.