Easy Cheesy Mexican Rice with Chicken is just in time for Cinco de Mayo. It’s an amazing one-pot meal with an incredible blend of flavors and textures. It makes a lot, so be prepared for yummy leftovers!
Ingredients for Easy Cheesy Mexican Rice with Chicken:
I used the following ingredients for this awesome dish: Olive oil, onion, red bell pepper, garlic, chicken, corn, Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, cumin, chili powder, brown sugar, long-grain rice, chicken broth, tomato paste, Monterey Jack cheese, and Mozzarella cheese. I know that seems like a lot, but it really comes together quickly.
Making the Easy Cheesy Mexican Rice with Chicken:
First, I sautéed the onion and red bell pepper in some olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Then, I added the garlic, and cooked the mixture for about 30 seconds until the garlic was fragrant. Next, I added the chicken, and continued cooking the mixture until the chicken was no longer pink. This took about 5 minutes. After that, I added the corn and spices, and stirred everything together. I added the rice and again stirred things together. Finally, I added the chicken broth and tomato sauce.
Once I stirred everything together, I brought the mixture to a boil. Then, I covered the skillet, and reduced the heat to medium low.
I simmered the Easy Cheesy Mexican Rice with Chicken for about 20 minutes, until most of the liquid had been absorbed, and the rice was cooked. Then, I finished the dish off with a sprinkling of cheese on the top.
I popped the skillet into a preheated 375° F oven for about 10 minutes until the cheese was bubbly and lightly browned.
Oh my – this was an incredible one-pot meal. It was lightly seasoned with the perfect blend of Mexican spices, and made amazing leftovers. Yum!
Easy Cheesy Mexican Rice with Chicken
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper (1/2 bell pepper)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10 ounces chicken breast cut into 1/4 inch strips (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 cup long grain rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Sauté onion and red bell pepper in olive oil in large skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until onion is tender. Add garlic; sauté for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add chicken; stir to combine. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add corn, salt, pepper, oregano, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and light brown sugar. Stir to combine.
- Add rice, chicken broth, and tomato sauce; stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover, and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed, and the rice is done.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Sprinkle top with Monterey Jack cheese and Mozzarella cheese. Place in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and lightly golden brown.
- Yield: 6 servings.