Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna is full of flavor and richness. It can be made with either a tomato based sauce such as my Homemade Marinara Sauce, or a cream based sauce. As we continue our quest to focus more on vegetarian meals, this Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna is a winner.
The ingredients for this delicious Lasagna include cremini mushrooms, my homemade marinara sauce, chopped spinach, homemade ricotta cheese, egg, lasagna noodles, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
Before building the lasagnas (I made two small ones as opposed to one big one) I prepped the different ingredients. Starting with the cremini mushrooms, I pulse chopped them in my food processor until they resembled cooked crumbled ground beef. It took about 5 pulses to do this. Then, I cooked them in a little bit of olive in a Dutch oven over medium high heat until most of the liquid was absorbed. Next, I added the marinara sauce to the mushrooms, gave it a stir and removed it from the heat. Finally, I let the Master Taste Tester try it, and got a thumbs up!
To build the Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna, first I thawed the spinach and squeezed as much water as possible from it. Then I mixed the ricotta cheese with the egg and shredded the mozzarella cheese. Finally, I cooked the lasagna noodles according to the package directions.
The assembly of the lasagnas went like this:
- Layer 1: Mushroom/marinara mixture, lasagna noodles, spinach, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese.
- Layer 2: Mushroom/marinara mixture, lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese, spinach, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese.
- Layer 3: Mushroom/marinara mixture, lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese, spinach, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese.
Into a 375° F oven one of the Spinach and Mushroom Lasagnas went for 35 minutes, until it was nicely browned and bubbly. It was absolutely delicious. In fact, if I hadn’t known that it was meatless, I never would have guessed it. Yum!
To complete your meal, serve the Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna with a Caesar Salad and some Breadsticks. If you’re looking for a Lasagna that has meat, check out my Classic Lasagna or Six Cheese Turkey Lasagna.
I hope you liked this recipe for Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna as much as I do. If so, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. Also, if you’d like to receive notifications of new posts by email, ever your email address in the Subscribe box.
Thank you so much for visiting Pudge Factor. I hope you’ll come back!
Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 20 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 3 cups marinara sauce preferably homemade
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach thawed
- 1 cup ricotta cheese preferably homemade
- 1 egg
- 4 cups 16 ounces whole milk mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese grated
- 8 lasagna noodles cooked according to package directions
- Pulse chop (about 5 pulses) the cremini mushrooms in batches in food processor fitted with blade, until they resemble cooked crumbled ground beef.
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook stirring constantly until most of the moisture is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add marinara sauce; stir to combine. Set aside.
- Squeeze liquid from spinach, first in handfuls, and then in paper towels. Set aside.
- Combine ricotta cheese and egg; mix well. Set aside.
- Assemble lasagnas as follows. (Note: Assembly is based on 8 x 6-inch baking dish. If using 13 x 9-inch baking dish, double ingredients.)
- First Layer: Spread 2/3 cup of the mushroom sauce in the bottom of a 8 x 6-inch baking dish. Arrange two noodles cut to size lengthwise over the mushroom sauce. Top with 1/3 cup of spinach, 2 1/2-ounces of the shredded mozzarella cheese, and 2/3-ounce of the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Second Layer: Spread 2/3 cup of the mushroom sauce over the first layer. Arrange two noodles cut to size lengthwise over the mushroom sauce. Top with 1/2 cup of the ricotta cheese mixed with egg, 1/3 cup of spinach, 2 2/3-ounces of the shredded mozzarella, and 2/3-ounce of the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Third Layer: Spread 2/3 cup of the mushroom sauce over the second layer. Arrange two noodles cut to size lengthwise over the mushroom sauce. Top with 1/2 cup of the ricotta cheese mixed with egg, 1/3 cup of spinach, 2 2/3-ounces of the shredded mozzarella, and 2/3-ounce of the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Cover lasagna with aluminum foil. Bake covered in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove aluminum foil. Bake uncovered 15 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. Remove from oven; let rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Yield: 4 servings per 8 x 6-inch pan; 2 lasagnas total.