Triple Chocolate Ice Cream is a true chocolate lover’s dream! It’s velvety smooth, intensely chocolate, and absolutely delicious. When I paired it with homemade waffle cones, it was extraordinary!
Susan says that it’s the best chocolate ice cream that she’s ever had. In fact, I almost didn’t have enough of the ice cream left to get a picture because she ate so much of it!
Ingredients for Triple Chocolate Ice Cream
I used the following ingredients for the ice cream: Heavy cream, sugar, dutch processed cocoa, Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips, milk, and the secret ingredient – Godiva Chocolate Liqueur.
Making the Triple Chocolate Ice Cream:
First, I whisked together cream, sugar and cocoa in a large saucepan set over medium-high heat. Once the mixture came to a full, rolling boil, I turned off the heat and added the chocolate chips. I whisked the mixture until the chocolate chips were melted. Then, I whisked in the milk and Godiva Liqueur.
After everything was well incorporated, I poured the mixture into my blender. I blended it for about 30 seconds, until it was very smooth. Then, I poured the mixture into a large measuring cup, covered it with plastic wrap, and refrigerated it overnight.
The next day, I poured the chilled mixture into my ice cream maker, and processed it for around 25 minutes. When it was done, I transferred the ice cream to an airtight container and placed it in the freezer to harden. This was not without sneaking a taste. Oh my, was it good!
Making the Waffle Cones:
I used the following ingredients for the waffle cones: Egg whites, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, flour, melted butter, and chocolate chips.I started by beating the egg whites, sugar and vanilla extract on high until the mixture was smooth. Then, I added the salt and half the flour, and beat it on low until the flour was incorporated. Next, I added the melted butter and remaining flour. I beat the mixture on low until everything was incorporated and the batter was smooth.
With the batter ready, I heated my WaffleCone Express for about 5 minutes. When it was hot, I brushed both sides with vegetable oil, and dropped about 4 teaspoons of the batter in the middle. I used my ice cream scoop that measured 1-3/4 inches in diameter. I closed the lid and cooked the waffle for a little over a minute until it was nicely browned. Then, I carefully lifted the waffle with a wooden fork, placed it on a clean dish cloth. Next, I carefully rolled it around the cone mold that came with the WaffleCone Express. I pinched the bottom to seal the cone, and held it in place for around 30 seconds until the cone was able to hold its shape.
Because I wasn’t sure that the bottom of the cone was sufficiently sealed, I dropped several chocolate chips into the warm cone. When the had melted a bit, I pushed them down with a small dowel as the chocolate melted. This actually worked like a charm and produced a nice surprise with the last bites!
Triple Chocolate Ice Cream with Waffle Cones
Triple Chocolate Ice Cream
- 2 cups (16 ounces) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (3.5 ounces, 100 grams) granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons (1.75 ounces, 50 grams) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 6 ounces (170 grams) Ghiradelli bittersweet (60% cacao) chocolate chips
- 1 cup (8 ounces) whole milk
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) Godiva Chocolate Liqueur
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces, 56 grams) egg whites (about 2 large egg whites)
- 7 Tablespoons (3 ounces, 85 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (3.15 ounces, 90 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons (30 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 24 to 27 chocolate chips
Triple Chocolate Ice Cream
- Whisk together the cream, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Heat mixture over medium high heat, whisking frequently, until it comes to a full, rolling boil (it will start to foam up). Remove from heat and whisk in the bittersweet chocolate chips until it's completely melted. Then whisk in the milk and Godiva Liqueur. Pour the mixture into a blender and blend for 30 seconds, until very smooth. Transfer to a container, cover with plastic wrap, and chill thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- Pour chilled mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Store in airtight container in freezer. Yield: 1 quart (1 litre)
- Preheat the waffle cone machine to a color setting of around 4. Lightly brush both sides with oil.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat together egg whites, sugar and vanilla. Add the salt and half of the flour. Beat on low until incorporated. Add the melted butter and remaining flour, and beat on low until smooth.
- Spoon 4 teaspoons batter onto the center of a hot cone waffle machine. Close the lid, lock the latch. Bake for 1 minute. Check for proper color; close and cook an additional 20 to 30 seconds to desired color.
- Carefully remove the waffle from cone waffle machine with a wooden fork onto a clean dish towel. Use the cloth to help lift and roll the waffle around the cone form, pinching the bottom and holding the cone a few seconds to set its shape. Drop 3 chocolate chips into the cone, and push down with small dowel to the bottom to seal the bottom of the cone.
- Cool completely. Store in airtight container. Yield: 8 or 9 cones.